Friday, November 19, 2010

Hebrew National vs. Nathan's

Some things just sneak up on you.  Like when I realized one day that I had suddenly become a hotdog snob. I used to think all hotdogs tasted alike. But they don't. At least not when you start paying more than a couple bucks for a package. At my grocery store, the two most expensive brands are Hebrew National and Nathan's. I figure they must be the cream of the hotdog crop, so I decided to test these two top-of-the-line hotdogs against each other. Results: They are both good, much tastier than your typical $.59/package wieners. Both have much better texture and taste than the cheaper competition.  But against each other, I have to go with Nathan's. The Hebrews are a close second, but have a little more of that "bologna flavor" than the spicier Nathan's. Nathan's hotdogs just taste like a higher quality dog. I love them. I love them so much I find myself doing previously unthinkable things, like making Mac and Cheese, just so I can add hotdogs to it.

2 comments:

  1. i'll take either on a good day. usually with tabasco peppers, neon relish, onions, tomato, celery salt and a poppy seed bun. never ketchup... or else.

    ReplyDelete