Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Persimmons: Fruit of the Gods

If you know me well, you know I have a thing about persimmons. And you also know I have a thing about sharing my thing about persimmons. Persimmon parties, persimmon recipes, Persimmon Walk-a-thon, persimmon poetry, The Persimmon Lounge, Persimmon-wear...sound familiar? You might have suspected that I've gotten over it since you didn't get your invitation to my annual Persimmon Fest, but no. You didn't get your invitation because I am hibernating this year. But persimmons are still just as wonderful and it is the season so go buy some. I recommend purchasing the Fuyu persimmon. It is the variety that you eat while it is still hard and crunchy. With Fuyu's you don't run the risk of  turning your "mouth awry with much torment", as was the experience of Captain John Smith in the 1600's (fruit must have been way more aggressive back then). Fuyu's are not bitter like other varieties.  You eat the whole thing, including skin, but don't eat the green part. I have been asked many times what they taste like. The best I can come to describing the flavor is like eating really sweet raw pumpkin, but with a much smoother texture. I think they are best eaten raw, but there are millions of recipes to try with them. Or if you don't want to eat them, they make a lovely decorative accessory.

1 comment: